- 3 cups peeled, diced butternut squash (about 1 small squash)
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrots (4 medium)
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced leek or chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon robust Saporito Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- Two 14 1/2 ounce cans chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup half-and-half or light cream
- Creme fraiche or dairy sour cream (optional)
- Toasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- Fresh tarragon sprigs (optional)
- In a large covered saucepan cook squash, carrots and leek in hot EVOO over medium heat about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth and bring to boil; reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, for 25 to 35 minutes or until vegetables are very tender. Cool slightly.
- Place one-third of the squash mixture in a food processor or blender. Cover and process or blend until almost smooth. Repeat with remaining squash mixture.
- Return all of the mixture to saucepan. Add pepper and nutmeg; bring just to boiling.
- Add half-and-half; heat through. If desired, garnish each serving with creme fraiche, pumpkin seeds, and/or fresh tarragon.
- Drizzle EVOO over individual soup bowls to finish, once served.