Enjoy this easy brine basted turkey recipe using fresh Saporito extra virgin olive oil using a few, simple ingredients.
- 1 ½ pound turkey
FOR THE BRINE
- sea salt
- 2 ½ gallons cold water
- 3 Tablespoons Saporito extra virgin olive oil (or Tuscan Herb, Wild Mushroom & Sage, Cilantro & Roasted Onion Olive Oil)
- 1 Tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ to ¾ cups vegetable or chicken stock, as needed
- Place turkey and enough brine to cover in a large pot.
- Refrigerate for 12-24 hours. If turkey floats to top, weigh it down with a plate and heavy cans to keep it submerged in brine.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and rub 2 tablespoons fresh olive oil over the skin of the turkey. Sprinkle pepper over skin and in cavity.
- Tuck wing tips under loosely truss legs and place turkey in roasting pan. Tent breast with foil.
- Put turkey in preheated oven. To ensure the bird cooks evenly rotate roasting pan 180 degrees every 30 minutes. Roast for about one hour. Remove foil and baste turkey with 1/2 cup of warm stock mixed with one tablespoon olive oil.
- Start checking internal temperature after about one hour by inserting an instant read thermometer in the meatiest part of the thigh not touching the bone. If legs or breast begin to get too brown, cover loosely with foil roast until internal thigh temperature reaches 165 degrees. Total roasting time should be about 2 to 2 ¾ hours. Let bird rest at least 20-30 minutes before carving.