Buy Local & Shop Small
“Why do folks say it’s important to buy local, to shop with small businesses in my town? Does my support really matter? What does it mean to buy local and shop small?”
By shopping locally, you are making an investment in your neighborhood and community. Small business owners value and prioritize supporting other locals and frequently purchase their goods from mom ‘n pops, farmers and entrepreneurs. This stimulates a town’s economy and shapes its culture and uniqueness.
Here are SEVEN compelling reasons to support local, small businesses in your town.
- A more hands-on, personal touch. Many employees are personally invested in the business or products and will likely go above and beyond when it comes to stronger customer satisfaction. They may even bend rules or stay open late ~ just for you!
- Less stress. There are normally few crowds in a local shop, shorter lines and less hassle when it comes to getting what you need, along with, a far more personalized shopping experience.
- Exclusive and uncommon products. Often the small-batch process involves techniques not as cost-efficient for those in mass production. Shopping at local businesses means you are likely getting something exclusive, superior in quality and unique.
- Expert craftsmanship. Whether it’s locally-grown, organic food, a mom-and-pop restaurant, handmade or other retail items, your local small business person is usually sharing their passion with the world.
- Better selection. Locally owned businesses pick items and products they sell based on what they know customers like and want, resulting in a better selection of specialty options since they buy for their own individual markets. Owners tend to be receptive to customer needs and preferences and relationships are valued. The assortment of inventory at big box stores are just deeper, not more diverse.
- Local owners give back. Beyond actual dollars being kept within your community, small biz owners are are likely to “do good” locally, to support other area endeavors, partnerships, charities and causes in their town. Money comes back into the local economy, your tax dollars re-invested right here, at home. (The Institute for Local Self Reliance study found each $100 spent at local independents generated $45 of secondary local spending, compared to $14 for a big-box chain — nearly identical to later results across the many Civic Economics studies.)
- Your community, a destination! Independent businesses, full of character, charm and individual traits give a community its distinct, thriving personality which benefits everyone.
Buy local and shop with small business owners throughout the year and particularly, the Saturday following Thanksgiving. Show support for and celebrate your Gainesville moms-and-pops. Visit your favorites that help make our community unique and wonderful.
We thank you for choosing to shop with us. ♥
Our family appreciates those who buy local and shop small with Gainesville business owners and we are grateful to the many who support us at Saporito.